What I have to do something? Oh wait is it for a grade?

Motivation, according to wikipedia.org (yes, I know profs dislike wikipedia), is the activation or energization of goal oriented behavior. According to me;) the reason you are motivated to do something could be intrinsic (self driven) or extrinsic (you receive something for your efforts).

What motivates me? Hmmm, I can be motivated intrinsically, well no not really I don't think. I have this drive to achieve at anything I try, so everything I try, I not only do but overdo in order for it to be great. If I do things for self satisfaction is that still intrinsic? If so, then I guess any school, teaching, parenting or wife successes or goals I have are intrinsic.

My motivations change on a daily basis but I seem to do better and follow through more often with extrinsic motivation. For example, I will run my third half marathon in November. There is no way in the world I would get up on Sunday mornings for my long runs if there was not an extrinsic motivator. In this case it is because I have already paid for it. The first time I ran (er, waddled) it was about 40 lbs ago and I truly believed I couldn't do it, I needed to prove myself wrong (hmmm is that intrinsic?). Most people run because they want to be in shape, I do it because I am terrible at it and slow and want to do it better.

I guess in all I think their is sometimes a thin line between intrinsic and extrinsic but what I have learned is even when my motivation has been extrinsic I have learned or gained a great deal from the situation.

Comments

  1. I like that you pointed out the similarity in intrisic and extrinsic motivation. I guess sometimes meeting a goal that rewards with extrinsic motivation often is accompanied by the feeling of accomplishment which is intrinsic. It's like they both work as a team. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Unit Wasn't So Bad, Was It?

Hmmmm, Is it procrastination when you just don't know where to start?

To assess or not to assess is NOT the question